Friday, January 22, 2010

An Opportunity

The 2010 job market has been completely flat. I still make the effort of checking the job banks each day, and each day I am reminded that if I was fluent in Danish, Italian, or even Swahili, I would probably be able to land work. I also take regular walking tours around the city hunting for "help wanted" signs about twice a week––the problem with this method is there seems to be fewer and fewer businesses each time. Really, I notice newly boarded-up storefronts each time I go out. Some brief research proves that it's not just my imagination, and businesses are closing at a high clip these days.

And as predicted, the gig at the baby clothing/toy store was not meant to be. The owner found a predictably feminine person to fill the spot.

Luckily, yesterday I ran into one of the owners of the golf shop where Katherine works. He told me there is a temporary "data entry" job at their warehouse, which is also within walking distance from our flat. It would only be for a couple of months, but it could lead to other things. He also told me he would keep an eye out for other opportunities at the warehouse. When he asked me what type of work I am looking for, I said "anything." This was apparently hard to believe, because when we were parting ways he said, "You really mean you'll do anything?" I was, and am, worried about what he might have been implying, but I nonetheless replied yes. Hey, times are tough.

No comments:

Post a Comment