Monday, January 11, 2010

The Blizzard

Cork's biggest snowfall in years came down yesterday––as divined by my previous entry––burying the region in about one inch. The weather actually persuaded an across-the-board school closure for the entire country, an unpopular decision in some circles. Cork International Airport closed down entirely at 7:00 p.m. last night, and only reopened midday today.

It was surreal, seeing the city struggle with the snow this morning. Many City Centre businesses opened late, and most closed early since there were hardly any shoppers willing to brave the roads into town. A lot of storefronts were closed the entire day. I was scheduled to meet with our realtor, but she wasn't able to get to her office. Buses were no alternative because many of the routes were out of service.

Katherine and I are lucky enough to have seen once-in-a-generation floods, and now once-in-a-generation winter weather. Anyway, here's my photographic proof that it has snowed in Cork:


And even more impressive, proof that it has been cold enough for the "Lough" (pronounced like "loch"), a lake in southern Cork City, to freeze over:

Photos courtesy of Sam O Reilly

That's right, there are even people walking on it! Or playing ice hockey, more specifically. The last time that it was cold enough for people to walk on the Lough: 1964.

Well, my readers, Katherine and I are off to London tomorrow. That is, if the airport is indeed open and our flight isn't cancelled. I will be back Saturday evening, continuing my online magazining shortly thereafter. Caveat: we will be back on Saturday if our flight out of London isn't affected, although that's very possible. England has experienced heavy snowfall, and it is likely to continue this week.

1 comment:

  1. Brandon be sure to go to a local bakery and ask for a "snake and pygmy" pie. Trust me!
    Have fun and and say "hi" to my family.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete