Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Michael Guiney's

Well, the unlikely happened––I got a job. It's at a bargain retailer called Guiney's. And I mean bargain retailer. This place makes K-mart look like Nordstrom. But hey, I am finally gaining that valuable, and elusive, retail experience. The path before me is paved with gold.

Not too much rejoicing is in order. My employment is a "trial period," according to the manager, a trial period that ends with the Christmas season. Until that point I'm working around twenty hours a week. My first day's duties included reorganizing the clothing in the women's section. Picking up loose articles from the ground, putting articles back where they belong, etc. About an hour into this I had, I admit, a bit of a existential crisis. Five years of higher education and I'm arranging thermal underwear? Humiliation began to creep its way into my consciousness.

But that's all just pride, and I've put it behind me. Guiney's is not a career path for me, it's a little extra money before Christmas. And as a friend of ours said, having a Master's and working at Guiney's is better than having a Master's and not working at all. I'm getting to know some of my Polish co-workers who have very tough-to-pronounce names, and, thank goodness, they got me out of the women's section. It'll all be okay. Paris is only a week away.

No comments:

Post a Comment