Saturday, May 15, 2010

Back to the Classifieds

After another long absence (thanks to another Euro-trip), I am back. Katherine and I were in northern Italy and southern France for a week, pursuing an extremely ambitious itinerary that nearly killed us. As mentioned in my previous entry, the holiday started off with a canceled flight. That turned out to be only the first unexpected hiccup of several more to come.

Either later today, or possibly tomorrow, keep an eye out for a deluxe, rarely seen double-entry describing our journey. Along with yours truly (of course), Katherine will co-author a "He said, She Said"-style article, complete with pictures.

***
What awaited me when we got back to Ireland was unemployment, a situation I have been trying to improve today. The online Irish job banks made it easy by having absolutely nothing helpful. I guess it's back to working the pavement.

In recent weeks we have been watching the death spiral of the Euro. At first it seemed like an overreaction on the part of the Greeks, who eagerly resort to street riots even at the best of times. But now European markets from Madrid to London are in a near free-fall, as is the value of the currency. Americans have no doubt noticed the effect on Wall Street too.

Now I'm not qualified enough to translate the trials of high-finance to scarcity of part-time jobs in Cork, but I know the connection is there. When markets plummet and folks are worried that the Great Recession is regaining momentum, small businesses hide the "Help Wanted" signs and refrain from posting positions online. At the moment it's a nice sunny day, so I'll go looking nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment