Sunday, April 4, 2010

My Warehouse Twilight

Warehousing and––as of late––another PhD thesis to edit have been cramping Éire Apparent's style. Not to fear, for I will be out of work again soon. The third week of April is the swan song of my career as a stock counter. So be prepared for the return of Brandon the mega-blogger.

As I write, my employment prospects are as bleak as before the warehousing stint. There's still nothing on the horizon other than restauranting and bar tending, and I didn't have much luck in those industries (the whole lack of "experience" thing). If I can manage to procure a nice flow of PhD theses to edit I will be fine––professional editing pays pretty well as it turns out!

***
Happy Easter! to those who observe it. Katherine, always the good Catholic, had us go to Easter Mass this morning. Since we slept in we had to go to the noon mass, which turned out to be the traditional Latin Rite. Aye carumba! I now completely understand why Vatican II was necessary. I've never seen priests do so much kneeling and standing and incense (Katherine said maybe the traditional mass was thought up as an exercise routine for the clergy). And there was the slight problem of the incoherently mumbled Latin.

To celebrate Christ's Resurrection Katherine and I are going to an Easter beer festival at the Franciscan Well, something that would make Him proud I'm sure.

***
We have joined in with the British/Irish tradition of "Easter Eggs," which are large chocolate....eggs. This is their standard Easter morning treat. Our friend Gemma's family gave us ours: I had a hollow egg that came with some Maltesers, and Katherine had the Cadbury (Kraft) "Flake" version. Good stuff.

My boss as the warehouse, Laurence, had a Jedward Eastern Egg. If you want a vision of the Antichrist, run a Google search for "Jedward." They're a corporate pop duo, and thanks to them we are now being tortured by a resurrection of Vanilla Ice in Ireland. Didn't think bringing back Vanilla Ice was possible? Yeah, I didn't either. Can't wait for the Second Coming of Milli Vanilli!!

If you purchase a Jedward Easter Egg you have a chance at a "golden ticket," which wins you a chance to meet them in person. This is why Laurence chose this egg. Laurence and I are on the same page when it comes to the disaster that is Irish pop radio––he told me that if he had the pleasure to meet Jedward, maybe he would have a chance to take out at least one of them. "Maybe that would kill the magic," he mused. But he didn't get the ticket. And, alas, the problem we face with pop music in Ireland is bigger than Jedward, anyway.

***


Anyway, to close I will do my spot for the Scottish Ministry of Tourism. Go to Edinburgh! It's wonderful. And with sterling being weak at the moment, it's downright affordable.


2 comments:

  1. Dear Brandon,

    I think your writing is wonderful! And I feel you with the warehouse work.

    Love,
    Katherine

    ReplyDelete